Tuesday, October 19, 2010

10/18/10

Somewhat of a late morning, I hit snooze a few times too many. Today is day one of babying Reece because of her paw, let the insanity begin. We got up and I tried to put a booty on her paw, it barely fit with the boxing glove of wrap that was on it. Then we went out for the morning bathroom break, inside for puppy breakfast, check the meter and sit down with coffee in hand to write in the blog. I also get caught up with other's blogs as well. Unfortunately I had a hard time focusing and next thing I know I'm 15 minutes late for getting out the door for the dog walk.
On our walk we did the 1mile loop which takes us close to the Lincoln St. construction. I had to take a picture of the fantastic signage setup for the detour on Lincoln St. I know people can probably figure this out after a few seconds of looking at the signs, but really? Two arrows pointed at each other. The whole idea behind a detour is to make it as easy as possible to go around and avoid confusion. This isn't the work construction sign layout I've ever seen, but at least it gave me a good morning laugh. I also showed this to Aaron to get his reaction as well. Like I said, it is probably fine, doesn't break any law or code, but it shows you whether the person putting these out takes pride in their job. On the other hand, if I was getting paid $8/hr, I probably wouldn't care either.
When I got home, I had a bowl of cereal and another cup of coffee to go. I got to work on time and began working on my projects. I may be heading down to Connecticut tomorrow for some surveying int he afternoon. Work was just like every other day, nothing too exciting happened. At lunch I went home with the pups and tried to play a little ball with Chance and let Reece tag along. It doesn't go very well because Reece will eventually get mad and take Chance's ball to be more interactive. We came in and I made a chick-which for lunch with some cookies Mackenzie made. I then put Reece on the couch and took off her boxing glove. I re-wrapped her paw a little and put on one of our booties. Then it was back to the office.
The rest of the day was pretty much the same, trying to wrap up some loose ends that keep coming back. After work I went straight home and played with the dogs, then inside for some dinner. We then went for an early walk because tonight is the first basketball game for the fall/winter league I joined. First game is at 7pm! The dogs and I went for a 1mile walk, then I got ready for the game. As I was about to leave, I decided to bring the dogs with. Since it is in the mid 50s, and there is plenty of room in the truck, why not. So I packed the pups in and off to Eliot, MA. Got to the gym 15 minutes early and started stretching. The first game on our court went into overtime, so we waited a bit longer.
I started the game out on the bench. This was good for me because I could watch the game. It has been awhile since playing in a game format. We were off to a good start, but then I could see how the game was changing. The league is a 'defense calls fouls' league. This is new to me, I've always played 'offense calls fouls'. If you were playing with pricks, they why would they call a foul on themselves? So, as the game progressed, it became more physical and less fouls called. This is not my style of basketball. This is the type of basketball that has turned the game into a gangster, punk game. Just look at the professionals that go into the fans and start fights, nothing but gangsters. I enjoy the sunday morning games because you play with people that are there to have fun and have a good time.
T0 make a long story short, we were up by 3 or 4 with 50 seconds left. However, we lost by 1. I think I played like crap. I could have played better, but I am not in a position to get hammered by some lunk-head and break something. I missed two free throws in the second half. I can remember coach Ford saying 'you don't win games with free throw, you lose games'. Afterwards, we made nice with the other team. It was unfortunate that we were able to call our own fouls, but the other team wanted to beat us physically and not with basketball skills. I'm glad we took the higher road, it was easier to take the lose. Also, beers after makes it easier too.
We stopped off for some beers and chicken wings at the Shipyard right on 236. I never knew the place was there, but what a perfect sports bar. I stayed for a little over an hour, then headed home with the dogs. It was good to converse with the guys outside of a basketball game. I have to admit, it was really great of Seth to introduce me to this group of guys. As Cheryl would say, 'now I have friends'.
When we got home, we went for a short last walk around the block. Reece seems to be doing well with her paw. She doesn't appear to be feeling much pain, so I'll hold off from giving her the pain medication. When we got back, it was straight to bed. It was an action packed day, and I was still in bed at 10pm!

1 comment:

  1. Did you know that Saint Rock is the patron saint of dogs? CeCe wants me to be him for halloween. But maybe you should be. Try doing a healing blessing on the paw. So cool.

    ReplyDelete