Saturday, October 9, 2010

10/9/10

Last morning in NC, fingers crossed. Not that I don't like North Carolina, but I miss my dogs so much. Plus it was a bit of a headache arranging a house sitter for the night. All the people I have as possible sitters were great, but I have to say I was definitely worried that I might not have had coverage. Plus I still haven't programmed my neighbor's phone numbers in my cell phone as a possible emergency option.

Anyway, left the house at 5am and got to the airport at 5:45am. There was one security line open when I got there and it wasn't moving. They kept letting flight crew and employees cut the line. I understand why they do that, but it was causing a strife between many passengers that stood in the same place for 30 minutes without moving. Finally they opened more security lanes and all was well again.

Reluctantly, I got a coffee and muffin at Starbucks. I say reluctantly because I prefer my coffee light, not burnt and strong. I waited at the terminal for a bit and then boarded right on time in first class! It was only going to be a 1hr 15 min flight to Philly, but it sure was nice to have the extra room. I was able to sleep most of the way. When we got to Philly we had to wait at the gate 10 minutes because they didn't have anyone qualified to drive the jet-way to the door. At first I thought this was no big deal, but keep reading. We finally got off the plan at 9:05am and I went right to a monitor to check my next flight (11:30am) and noticed a flight to Manchester at 9:30 at a gate a full mile away... I made a mad dash to the gate to see if I could get on it. When I got there, they had just closed the door. The guy said if I was 5 minutes earlier, I could have gotten on... wish I had those 10 minutes back.

No bid deal, went over to my gate for the 11:30 flight, watched some tv on the computer and did some internet surfing. I love it when airports have free wifi. As we started to board, the guy at the gate announced that they overbooked this flight and looking for volunteers for the 2pm flight. I jumped on it... another voucher was imminent. They did the same thing though, held on to my ticket until all had boarded. But this time he said my seat wasn't needed and told me to take my seat on the plane. I was a bit upset because it might mean I would have to checking my carry on. I got to my seat 15C, only one problem, someone already there. After a 5 minute conversation with the flight crew, they did confirm there were no more seats. So I headed back to the gate to get my voucher and next plane ticket.


Not only did I get money for another flight, but I got a meal voucher too. So I made my way over to my new gate (in terminal F). The only way to get to terminal F??? Shuttle bus. I like to walk, but nope, waited for the shuttle bus. All is well, went to Au Bon Pien for a sandwich and yogurt for lunch. Got to my gate at a little past 12:30 and worked on the computer. Hopped on the plane at 2, arrived in Manchester at 3:15. A quick drive to Portsmouth and I was home with the pups right at 4pm. We played in the yard until 5, then it was in for dinner. We hung out upstairs for a bit while I tried to hook up the computer and webcam to the TV, I think it will work great if I get a wireless keyboard and mouse so that I can sit on the couch and video chat with Cheryl.

No phone call from Cheryl today, she is out giving tours. At 6pm we went for a short walk around the block, then back to the house. I made a bowl of cereal for dinner and fell asleep watching an episode of Curb Your Enthusiasm (netflix). I really didn't like the humor, will return with only watching one episode. At 10pm, one last trip outside with the dogs, then to bed.


So, for arriving 22 hours later than planned, I have $725 worth of vouchers for future flights. If I keep this up, my flight to meet Cheryl in New Zealand will be free.

No comments:

Post a Comment