Saturday, October 9, 2010

10/8/10

Another morning in North Carolina. This morning I got up extra early so that I could pack all my things and get to the jobsite early. Since I only had half a day on-site today, I wanted to make the most of it. On the way to the site I stopped off at Dunkin Donuts for coffee, but I also picked up breakfast sandwiches for Harry and Tom and got donuts and muffins for the plant guys.

I was able to get all the work I needed done by 10am! So I called in to a conference call for the project team meeting for another project. I was able to be as productive as possible and get a head start on some work I need to complete on monday. At noon, I headed off site to catch my plane home. It was good to hang with Harry and Tom, and I hope I left them in better shape than when I arrived. Although, our three 100,000lb heaters were sitting at the TN/NC border still because they didn't have permits.

Off to the airport I went, turned in my rental car and headed for the gate. I stopped by for a grilled chicken sandwich for lunch first. When I got to the gate, they had a notice "overbooked". Looks like I got bumped. The lady at the counter was super nice, offering my vouchers and an upgrade to first class on the 10pm flight. Figuring I would turn in my ticket and get a new one right away, I agreed. The downer was that she didn't attempt to get me on the next flight until the entire plane boarded (almost an hour later). So when I walked up, she came clean and told me she didn't book me an hour ago and the flight at 10pm filled up, no first class.

Again, the lady was super nice, and I wasn't about to get upset. So she offered me a night over and more vouchers for the 7:30am flight connecting through Philly, plus a free upgrade to first class. So, I turned down the hotel because I was going to go back to Harry's instead. Went down, rented another car and headed back to the site.

When I arrived on-site, the crane we brought to the site yesterday for the heaters was being packed up and taken off site. Looks like the heaters didn't get permits, and with monday being a holiday, tuesday afternoon would be the earliest we would need the crane. Another bummer.

So after everyone left for the day, Harry and I met up with Tom at Safari Miles for dinner. I had a Grecian pizza and calamari that was fantastic. We hung out at the bar for a bit, enough time to witness the Dolly's 102nd birthday party. Dolly made quite an entrance. Afterwords, we went back to the rental house and I crashed upstairs. I tried to watch a few tv shows streaming, but the connection wasn't so good on the 3rd floor. Went to bed around 9pm, alarm set for 4am for round 2 of flying out of Charlotte.

No comments:

Post a Comment