Wednesday, October 20, 2010

10/19/10

Tuesday morning with the dogs, so sweet. At least I got up on time and able to do my morning routine and out the door for the walk on time. During the walk, I noticed that the two detour signs from yesterday's post were corrected. It seems to be hit or miss. The other thing I noticed was that the arrows are added pieces of wood with a single screw in the middle so that the arrow can rotate. Probably OK on a rural road, but in an area full of kids...

After our walk we came in the house and I had breakfast and some more coffee. I got ready, and headed to work a bit early. I knew I was heading down to southern Connecticut (near NY) today, but didn't know when. Got into work and tried to complete some tasks prior to my day in the field. I was able to get some drawings done for the shop so they could start fabrication of a metal stand I was designing. John told me to be on-site at 2pm to meet him and the client. John had another job to go to that was south, so I was driving separately. I left work at 10:30am, and went home. I loaded the truck with all their stuff. I decided to take the pups with me on this road trip. 3-1/2 hours each way, I figured I wouldn't get back until 8pm tonight.

It was actually a pleasant drive down. The pups were great, sleeping a lot of the drive, then up and watching as we went through a few cities. I stopped a few times to let them stretch and give them some water. I stopped to get a chocolate chip muffin for lunch. When I arrived on-site, I parked outside of the facility in a nice shady area. Since day time temps are in the high 50s, I thought the dogs would be fine. I grabbed all my tools and headed in to meet John. I conducted a little survey to determining elevations around a proposed underground vault we were designing. And since I heard back last week that I am now a Connecticut registered PE, I will get to stamp the drawings.

We were on-site for about 2 hours. I also got a quick tour of their compressor building. This client really builds their facilities right, everything looked great. The buildings were also constructed to 'look' like barns vs. some natural gas facility. I'd post a picture of the facility to show you what I do, but I better not without client approval. These facilities are governed by Federal regulations and now fall under Homeland Security, so better dafe than sorry. At 4pm, I was back on the road with the dogs, I waited to get past Hartford for our first rest stop. I took the dogs out, fed them dinner, got them some water, and walked around in the woods for 15 minutes. I also took the time to let Cheryl know where I was and that we wouldn't be video chatting tonight. We stopped one more time in Mass. to let the dogs out, fill up with gas and off to home.

I pulled in the driveway at 7:30pm. Immediately I took the dogs on a walk around the block. Came in and made a bowl of cereal for dinner and hit the couch to watch NCIS and NCIS LA. I had a few of Mackenzie's cookies for a desert, then it was off to bed. I really wanted to get a fire going today as the temperature has dropped in the house (60F). It will have to wait until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment