Sunday, November 28, 2010

11/27/10

A beautiful Saturday morning. I can't believe the dogs let me sleep in until 7:30am, I feel like half the day is over. We got up and mulled around the house, then I made the decision to head up to the cabin in Maine for the day. So I got a bunch of stuff ready for the trip and loaded the car. The pups and I went for our morning walk, then back to the house for some breakfast. I had a bowl of cereal and some coffee, then we were off (9:15am).

We arrived at the cabin at 11:50am. The pups and I walked around a bit, it was difficult because of all the thickets and small trees. Plus is was prime hunting season up there, so I wanted to be sure the dogs wouldn't slip their collars. Eventually I put them back in the car and I wandered around the property. I tried to get in the cabin, but the front porch had partially collapsed and the refrigerator that was on the porch was now in front of the door. I could get the fridge up, but not stay on its own. The last thing I wanted to do was get into the cabin and the fridge fall and lock me in.

While walking around, I noticed that the neighbor (we only have one there) was at his cabin. He invited me in for a few minutes. We talked a bit about our families and how much they enjoy being at their cabin. They let me know that there is a big porcupine problem and that most of them are living under my cabin. Apparently they are ruthless. He has had to put sheet metal over any wood within 3' of the ground or the porcupines tare it up. So I stayed for about 30 minutes, took some pictures of the place and headed back to NH.






On the way back, I stopped off at the Wire Bridge with the dogs to play a bit and take some more pictures. I have to admit, this is the best part of the property in Maine. The cabin is about a mile away from the bridge, which has some picnic area and is just a great place to hang out. The dogs enjoyed it, then it was back in the car for the ride home. The last stop on the ride home was eating a late lunch at Arby's, a tradition when making the trek to the cabin. I had a roast beef sandwich, curly fries and a jamocha shake, yum.


We made it home around 4:15pm. Hung around the house for a bit. I noticed that EMS was having an additional 10% off until 6pm on the Osprey pack I wanted. Long story short, online said they didn't have the color & size I wanted, but the store down the road did. So I made the trip out to the store to get the pack. When I got back, I fed the dogs and then instant messaged Cheryl for about 10 minutes. At 6:45pm, the dogs and I went for our evening walk. Ah, the first snow sticking on the ground for the year, and my first slip on ice, fantastic.

The walk went pretty well, the dogs were good. There was one moment when I wasn't paying attention and someone was coming out of their house with their dog. Chance ran right up to the other dog, I was able to hold Reece back. I was surprised, neither of my dogs were really that worked up. Maybe they were as surprised as I was. When we got back from the walk, I made a bowl of cereal for me and put on a movie. Reece spent the whole movie snuggled with me on the couch, so cute. After the movie, it was time for bed.

1 comment:

  1. Did you tell the neighbor that he has built over the property line into our acreage? I know we haven't done anything to our place but he still shouldn't build beyond what he owns. Just sayin...

    ReplyDelete