Thursday, January 13, 2011

1/12/11

The snow started in the wee hours of the morning. When the pups and I got up and went outside at 6am, there was already 4" on the ground. We came in and the pups had their breakfast. It was a good surprise to see that there were still embers left in the wood stove from last night, so I was able to keep a fire going by adding a couple small pieces of wood. Next I blogged a bit while having coffee.

I decided to take a few minutes and shovel a little of the driveway. I know we were going to get more snow, but I figured it would help. After 10 minutes, I came in and grabbed the dogs for our morning walk. We walked in some pretty deep snow drifts. We only went 0.6 miles, though it was quite the workout. When we got home, I had a bowl of cereal and then got dressed for work. I went out and cleaned off the car and made sure I could get out the driveway. By this time, a total of 6" had fallen and my street wasn't touched by plows yet.

I got to work a little late, mostly because of the slow driving. The roads were like a ghost town, but leave it to my company to require our attendance. If we don't make it in during a blizzard, we have to use a vacation day. Pay no attention to the fact that we can all do our work from home. Anyway, only a few people made it in to work. I did what I could, as usual. At lunch I went home (crawling on the streets) so that I could get the inevitable snow mound at the street carved out. I parked on the street for 30 minutes. In that time I was able to cut a slot for my car to get in the driveway. The snow mound from the plow was 5' tall and 8' deep. I only cut through a 6' section, the rest will have to wait. I took the pups out in the backyard. They love the snow. Reece looked like a bunny, hopping in the snow that was now 4" higher than her belly. Chance loved it too, trying to find his ball in the snow was hilarious. After 10 minutes of playing, I brought the pups inside and grabbed some food to eat at work. I has a couple fruit snacks, a banana, an orange and some pretzels.

When I got back to the office we were doing musical chairs with our cars for the plow guy to do the lot. Beyond that, nothing too exciting happened. At around 3pm the snow began to stop and by 5pm you could see bare asphalt on the streets. Every intersection still had mounds of slushy crap, but much better than the morning or lunch commute. Although, the 40mph gusting winds are doing a great job relocating all the plowed snow back into the streets.

When I got home, the city plow had been by again, with even more snow mounded up. I left the car in the road for 10 minutes while I re-carved out my slot. I got the car in and went in to greet the pups. I let them in the backyard to play around without me for a bit. I went back out front and began to take down the snow. It was really cool, my neighbor Pat came over at one point and helped shovel my driveway. We talked for a bit too, I'm really lucky to have such great neighbors. For the rest of the night I would go back and forth, play with the pups, shovel, feed the pups, shovel some more, interact with the pups inside, back outside to shovel more.

At 7pm, I took the dogs for our evening walk. We did pretty well, we went 0.6 miles. Most of the sidewalks hadn't been plowed yet, I kinda figured that would be the case. We did some walking in the streets, and that is when the salt started hurting the pups paws. We made it back ok, but I got to figure out something for these walks. Reece will wear boots, Chance won't. If they would just poop in the yard, but they are to yuppy to poop where they play.

Anyway, I watched a little TV before heading to bed. I will get pictures of the snow storm up on tomorrow's blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment